Pages

Friday, December 20, 2013

Zombie Fluxx



This version of Fluxx has been in my collection for a while.  I would consider this an "in-between" game.  It is a good one to pop out if you are transitioning from one bigger game to the next.  It doesn't take very long, and a huge benefit to this game is that it is easy to learn.  I have yet to play the original Fluxx, but as I have seen from other versions, they are very similar.  I assume the formula goes something like this: take the base game, skin a theme onto it, add one or two new mechanics, rinse and repeat. I do have a tendency to be drawn toward zombie things, so here we are.

Zombie Fluxx has rules, actions, goals, keepers, and creeper cards.  The reason the game is easy to learn is that the rules are always on the table looking at you.  The game starts with two rules: draw one, play one.  That’s it!  When you start the game, there is no goal in play. You need to set the goal.  The goal is usually a combination of keepers and conditions to win.  My personal favorite is zombie baseball team; if you collect a bunch of zombies and a bat, you win!  When you draw a creeper (zombie) he stays in front of you and, in most cases, keeps you from wining.



When it’s all said and done, I think the game can be fun if you don’t take it too seriously and don’t focus on a hardcore strategy to win.  The game is very random, and the whole game can change in one person’s turn. Have fun with it, and try to make up a little back story to explain the keepers, creepers, and goals on the table.  I like to name “the friend keepers” after other people at the table.  It makes it interesting when other people try to kill them off or steal them from me.  If you are already a fan of Fluxx, pick this one up.  If you need a deeper game, read another review!


No comments:

Post a Comment